Wessex Black Retractable Garage Door Spring
This is a Wessex Black Retractable Garage Door Spring used to repair your existing retractable garage door. This is a spring to suit Wessex and Ellard pre 1998 retractable garage doors, and was fitted to Wessex GRP doors, Ellard steel, timber and GRP doors and some Statemore timber doors. These springs are easily identified either by size or their colour. The BLACK spring has 92 coils with a length over coils of 505mm, and an outside diameter of 44mm.
|Number of Coils||92|
|Length Excl Hooks||505mm|
To fit the Wessex Black Retractable Garage Door Spring you will need the following tools. Please be aware that if the door is in a precarious position it is recommended that you use a professional garage door repair service to prevent the potential for injury.
- A spanner, the size will depend on the nut holding the adjuster bolt in position but normally 17mm or 19mm.
- Mole grips are also useful and so is WD40.
- Open the door fully and prop it with a length of timber to stop it falling down whilst working on the door.
- Make a note of the thread length below the straining bolt bracket.
- Loosen the spring tension by undoing the nut on the string adjuster bolt.
- Lift off the old spring and replace with the new spring.
- Insert the straining bolt into the bracket and tighten the nut until the bolt is in the same position as previously noted in step 2.
- Repeat for the other side.
- Check the door is balanced (it should not fall to the closed position on it’s own or be too hard to close.)
- Adjust the tension as required if the door is not balanced. Use the Mole grips to help with this if required.
- Spray the top and bottom spring coils with WD40 if they are squeaky.
- It’s now good practice to check over the rest of the door to ensure everything is secured as it should be.
If you are not confident doing this work yourself then book an appointment for one of our Engineers to do it for you.